|Contributor since:||May 2009|
Ten Things About Me
1. I was born in the U.S. Virgin Islands and moved to Florida when I was 4, but I've never been able to get rid of my Caribbean accent. When I was a kid and just wanted to fit in, I hated it. Now that I don't, I hope I never lose it. Not that anyone in Buenos Aires even notices it!
2. I've been a writer and editor for People, Teen People, Us Weekly and Entertainment Weekly.
3. My favorite city is London, and my favorite country is Italy. I hate Athens, Paris and Berlin.
4. I once made Brandy's mother cry.
5. I'm probably one of the few people on earth who can say I stood up a former Beatle. It was Ringo Starr, and I only did it because traffic through Central Park to the Upper East Side was so bad that I showed up to our interview 30 minutes late.
6. My favorite band of all time is the Smiths. R.E.M. is second. The Cure is my third. I cried when Tammy Wynette, my favorite singer ever, died.
7. "Atlas Shrugged" by Ayn Rand is my favorite book. I know it's cliché to say, but it changed my life -- not as a political or social manifesto, but as a personal one. What lessons did it teach me? Two: 1) To thine own self be true. 2) Just do it.
8. "The Golden Girls" is my favorite TV show. I've seen every episode a billion times, but every time I watch one, I notice something I never noticed before.
9. "Blue" is my favorite movie, and its star, Juliette Binoche is my favorite actress. When she won the Oscar for "The English Patient," all my friends called to congratulate me. By the way, I hated "The English Patient."
10. At one point, I was doing so much on-air pop-culture commentary that when I walked into Mary J. Blige's hotel suite to interview her, she hugged me and exclaimed, "I've been seeing you all over the TV!" "Likewise!" I replied!
I'm Known For...
My ability to make interviewees weep.
My Current Project
Cleaning out my closet.
My Greatest Achievement
Getting Dusty Springfield to open up about her battle with breast cancer, unprompted, after being told that she would not be discussing the subject.
My Biggest Regret
Missing my interview with Ringo Star because insane lunch-hour New York City traffic made me 30 minutes late!
I Truly Respect
Singers and songwriters. Good ones.
Moments I'd Like To Forget
Walking into a photo shoot and seeing Christina Aguilera getting her feet rubbed by her assistant.
How I Pay For This Wardrobe
Blocks I've Been Around
All of them -- except a few in west BA.
Things That Really Happened
I interviewed Sting at his Central Park West apartment, and he didn't offer me anything to drink. I didn't think anything of it, but my female colleagues at People magazine were mortified.
Where I'd Like To Be 10 Years From Now
50 and still looking at least 10 years younger.
Because news is more than what happens.
My Other Website
What I'm Currently Addicted To...
Roxy Music, Bryan Ferry, MC Lyte and dark Rihanna.
This Is Annoying Me...
The Lady Gaga obsession that seems to have taken over the planet. Runner up: Susan Boyle.
This Is Making Me Worry...
The rapid passage of time.
This Is Bringing Me Joy...
Watching "One Life To Live" on YouTube.
I'm Running From...
This Is Helping Me Create...
This Is Making Me Think - Hard...
Up in the Air.
This Makes My Teeth Itch
Racism and fussy high-maintenance people.
Can't Do Without
Amy Winehouse, Alison Moyet, Annie Lennox, Duffy, Dusty Springfield, Kate Bush, Kylie Minogue, Mary J Blige, MC Lyte, Patty Loveless, Robyn, Sade, Shania Twain, Sharleen Spiteri, Sinead O'Connor, Tammy Wynette.
My Most Awkward Moment
Right after sex.
My Secret Ambition
To jump out of an airplane.