Welcome to True/Slant
This is an idea 35 years in the making.
I got hooked on journalism in college when the country was bitterly divided over Vietnam, gripped by Nixon and Watergate, in the throes of Roe v. Wade.
I loved the newsroom. The feel of it. The deadline pressure. The late nights. Reporting, editing and publishing the news felt so important to me.
Today, the news business is undergoing a wrenching transformation brought on by the economics of the digital world. Big questions loom. Can news providers continue to afford to produce quality news products? How can they best serve audiences that crave both more information and deeper insight from credible sources?
True/Slant has many goals:
– To empower knowledgeable and experienced contributors to easily produce original content.
– To enable the audience to efficiently find relevant and interesting news culled by contributors they respect.
– To blur the line between the “New Journalist” and the audience by hosting a curated, lively and civil conversation.
– To point audiences to stories and videos across the Web, respecting the intellectual copyrights of the original content creators.
– To give a voice to corporate marketers that is fully transparent and labeled, maintaining the integrity of the conversation.
As digital journalism rapidly evolves, this is top most on my mind: How can True/Slant combine the values and standards of the great news organizations that served the public interest so well for so long with the dynamic nature and interactivity of the digital world?
This is our Alpha product, a bit rough around the edges because we have so much more to do.
I hope you will follow T/S contributors and engage with them.
As we like to say at True/Slant, “News is more than what happens.”