What Is True/Slant?
275+ knowledgeable contributors.
Reporting and insight on news of the moment.
Follow them and join the news conversation.
 

Apr. 5 2010 - 1:11 pm | 1,948 views | 0 recommendations | 4 comments

Lies, Damn Lies, and Statistics: The Tea Party Is Far From Mainstream

This is not "Mainstream"

The banner headline kicking around the political blogs today comes from Gallup: “Tea Partiers Are Fairly Mainstream in Their Demographics.”  Gallup’s survey comes on the heals of another set of numbers published by the Winston group which also sparked headline from a number of major outlets.  The Hill is carrying the Winston numbers under the headline “Survey: Four in 10 Tea Party members are Dems or independents” while the LA Times leads with “Myth-busting polls: Tea Party members are average Americans, 41% are Democrats, independents.”

Then there’s the oft-quoted Mark Twain: “There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics.”

Behind the headlines, the numbers tell their own story.  Gallup reports that 28% of Americans consider themselves to be supporters of the Tea Party.  26% oppose it and the remainder – a full 46% of the population – either doesn’t know or doesn’t care.

To put Gallup’s numbers another way, just six percent more Americans count themselves supporters of the Tea Party than approved of George W. Bush’s job as President on his last day in office. Winston reports that about 17% of Americans consider themselves to be Tea Party members, a figure within the margin of error for the percentage of Americans who claim to have seen a UFO.

Gallup also tells us that Tea Partiers are nearly twice as likely to be Republicans as the average American adult and four times less likely to be Democrats.  The headline-statistic claiming that “41% are Democrats or Independents” derives from the Winston numbers but glosses over the distinction between the two.  Combining the numbers differently, Winston could just as accurately state that just 13% of Tea Partiers are Democrats and the remaining 87% are either Republicans or Independents. Exactly how independent those “Independents” are is of some concern as well.  Winston’s own trend-lines from 2002-2008 suggest that a lot of today’s independents are one-time Republicans who jumped ship during the Bush years.  While it would be interesting to determine how many of the Tea Partiers were “Independents” before 2002, that information is not available.

In light of this, suggesting that the Tea Party is a somehow representative slice of the electorate seems either disingenuous or deliberately misleading.  A group that is twice as conservative as the general population and under-represents a major party by a factor of four is not “average” or “mainstream;” it is, almost by definition, the radical fringe.


Comments

4 Total Comments
Post your comment »
 
  1. collapse expand

    Mr. Thomas,

    I think that you are missing the point. The vast majority of Tea Party members are no different the American Mainstream. They rarely have more than one head, generally two eyes, two arms, and two legs. They are only a few that are actually from other planets. It is their political views that seem to be extra-terrestrial.

  2. collapse expand

    The beauty of the tea party is that there is no tea party….but their are people getting together and exercising their God given ability to speak

  3. collapse expand

    “Twice as Conservative as the general population?” , “radical fringe?” Are you out of your mind? What do “tea partiers” espouse? Lower taxes? Less Government involvement in our lives? Responsible Government? Politicians who represent the PEOPLE and not their own self interests or their political party or special interests?

    Are you saying that most Americans do not support these ideas?

Log in for notification options
Comments RSS

Post Your Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment

Log in with your True/Slant account.

Previously logged in with Facebook?

Create an account to join True/Slant now.

Facebook users:
Create T/S account with Facebook
 

My T/S Activity Feed

 
     

    About Me

    I got started in journalism as a contributor to MSNBC.com's social news site Newsvine. While writing there I scooped the AP on the April 16 2007 shooting at Virginia Tech, covered the Democratic National Convention in 2008, and was named one of the Wall Street Journal's "Wizards of Buzz."

    I live in South Western Virginia and, when I'm not tackling the political issues of the day, I develop websites to pay the bills.

    See my profile »
    Followers: 50
    Contributor Since: May 2009
    Location:Christiansburg, VA