What Is True/Slant?
275+ knowledgeable contributors.
Reporting and insight on news of the moment.
Follow them and join the news conversation.

May. 1 2010 - 7:29 am | 24 views | 0 recommendations | 2 comments

Want Your Photo In The NYT Business Section? Here’s One Way In

NY Times Building

Image by jebb via Flickr

It can happen.

You’re an ambitious young photographer, but still in university or a fresh grad. You read — (you do, of course) — every agate/photo credit for every major photo moved by the wires and the agencies and the major papers — wondering when it’s your turn.

For two terrific young women, Samantha Sais and Marie deJesus, their dream came true this week, Sam’s photo illustrating a story about a Tucson  man who’d successfully fought off bill collectors and Marie’s of a coffee-shop owner in San Juan, PR, unable to get a business loan. It happened because they were chosen to participate in The New York Times Student Journalism institute, open every year only to student members of the NAHJ or NABJ.

Winners get paid to spend two weeks working closely with top editors from the Times and other regional papers, so when a shooter is needed and there’s a talented student in that town, they’ve got a good shot at the assignment.

The editor who assigned to both women — my sweetie. I’m proud of his commitment to finding and nurturing the next generation of talent, regardless of age or gender. Talent — and making the right contacts — can be enough.

Comments

One T/S Member Comment Called Out, 2 Total Comments
Post your comment »

1. collapse expand

It’s a good man who doesn’t prefer to be in the last generation of professionals.

2. collapse expand

Thanks. I agree. Both he and I do a lot of mentoring of younger journos and photogs. We’ve both had our kick at the can (still kicking, clearly) and really want to make sure the business we love — in whatever shape it takes — remains filled with smart, passionate, talented people.

We were mentored along the way and, especially without our own kids, we feel very strongly about making sure we can give back some of our skill or advice to the best of the young ‘uns.

Log in for notification options
Comments RSS

Post Your Comment

You must be logged in to post a comment

Log in with your True/Slant account.

Previously logged in with Facebook?

Create an account to join True/Slant now.

Facebook users:
Create T/S account with Facebook

My T/S Activity Feed

About Me

Former reporter and feature writer for the Globe and Mail, Montreal Gazette and the New York Daily News. Winner of a Canadian National Magazine Award (humor) about -- what else -- my divorce. I've been writing frequently for The New York Times since 1990 on almost any subject you can think of -- yup, I'm a generalist. Author of "Blown Away: American Women and Guns" (Pocket Books 2004). Canadian born, raised and formally educated, I've lived in New York since 1989.

See my profile »
    Followers: 249
    Contributor Since: June 2009
    Location:NYC suburb

What I'm Up To

About

I’m writing my second book, a memoir for Portfolio/Penguin, of working retail in a suburban mall for more than two years. My 11 Reporting Tips from daily newspaper veterans appears in the May issue of The Writer magazine.

I also coach fellow writers and edit their work.